Saturday, February 7, 2015

Night Watchman

Sometimes, I end up as one of the only human beings awake in this town.....

It fascinates me that towns very close to major Interstates can just shut down after about 9 or 10pm. I work in a hotel, though, so for me, there is no such thing as a "sleep schedule." I work any and all shifts, so it is not unheard of for me to have a week on the schedule where I will work from 7am-3pm one day, later I will be in from 3p-11p, and then maybe finish the week out on 11pm-7am! Oh, the joys of hospitality.....

This was a great industry for me to get into, straight out of college. College kids don't know the meaning of the term "sleep schedule!" I, least of all.

Now, the trouble is that everyone in hospitality who works at the Front Desk stands (or sits, lucky bastards) here and says to him/herself, "Man, I have a lot of free time in between doing things. I could write a book or something!" Some people actually pull that off! (I'll let you know as soon as my friend is done with his post-modern take on classic Southern Gothic literature, in part inspired by Stephen King) I, on the other hand.....

Well, does it look like I'm standing here writing a book? Literally, not metaphorically, obv's....

Of course, about 4am, you start seeing the infomercials, and then you know it's in for the long haul.....The lucky ones, like myself, work in a hotel with its own restaurant, so you'll see a few coworkers in around 5 or 6-ish am or so, to start opening breakfast. Then, at least, something is happening.

Until then, I keep myself entertained by...the Intarwebz!!


So how about you folks -- what's the most boring job you've ever had? Or comparable. And isn't it nice to get paid to do nothing? ;-)


NB

No comments:

Post a Comment